Dual Diagnosis Treatment Centers Milwaukee
Could you benefit from a stay at one of the best dual diagnosis treatment centers Milwaukee offers? How to find out if this treatment is right for you
Could you or a loved one be struggling with a dual diagnosis of a mental illness and substance abuse problem? If so, you are not alone. Many people who abuse drugs and alcohol also suffer from mental illness. In fact, the National Institute on Drug Abuse reports that people who are diagnosed with mood or anxiety disorders are twice as likely to also suffer from drug abuse or dependence than the general population. Similarly, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) reveals that a third of people who abuse alcohol and more than half of drug abusers report experiencing a mental illness. If you are one of the many individuals fall into this category, Milwaukee Drug Treatment Centers, known widely as one of the best dual diagnosis treatment centers Milwaukee offers, could hold the key to a healthier future.
Signs you have co-occurring drug use and mental illness
If you are unsure if you need the kind of help provided by Milwaukee Drug Treatment Centers, consider the following statements. If any of them resonate with you, or seem to describe what you are going through, there is a high possibility that you are struggling with a dual diagnosis of mental illness and substance abuse:
- You've stopped taking prescribed medications for bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, or other mental illness because they made you feel too numb and "grey," and started using street drugs or alcohol to level out your emotions
- You have turned to substance abuse to quiet thoughts that otherwise continually run through your head (associated with OCD - obsessive compulsive disorder)
- You have begun "self-medicating" with alcohol or drugs to get relief from feelings of sadness, depression, anxiety, or severe self-consciousness
- You have turned to drugs or alcohol to deal with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- You are taking street drugs to suppress your appetite or deal with feelings of anxiety associated with bulimia, anorexia, or binge eating
- You no longer enjoy the things, people, or activities that once gave you pleasure and only feel at peace when you are high or drunk
Dual diagnosis treatment
There are so many different ways that mental illness and substance abuse can co-occur that no single treatment pattern will work for everyone. Milwaukee Treatment Centers has earned a reputation as one of the top addiction treatment centers in Milwaukee by providing integrated intervention for individuals with dual diagnosis. Treatment programs are devised to provide concurrent treatment that addresses each individual's specific mental illness and substance abuse issues.
While the specifics depend on your particular issues, the best Milwaukee addiction treatment centers provide treatment plans for dual diagnosis patients that include:
- Detoxification – Medical detox is the first step for anyone with a dual diagnosis problem. Professional staff may administer medications to ease withdrawal pains and treat the symptoms of your mental illness as your system detoxifies from the drugs and/or alcohol you have been taking.
- Inpatient Rehab – Anyone dealing with the dangerous combination of substance abuse and mental illness can benefit from a stay at an inpatient rehab center. Suffering through withdrawal from substance abuse is hard enough. Getting clean from substance abuse while facing the ravages of mental illness, without the crutch of drugs or alcohol, is extremely stressful and can even be dangerous. Staying in an environment where caregivers are on hand 24/7 is the best way to prevent a life-threatening situation from developing.
- Medication – When you receive care from the best dual diagnosis treatment centers Milwaukee offers, your dual diagnosis treatment plan may include the administration of medication to wean you away from drug addiction or to treat your mental illness.
- Psychotherapy – Cognitive behavioral therapy and other forms of psychotherapy are a critical part of the care provided by the best dual diagnosis treatment centers Milwaukee offers. During therapy sessions, patients learn coping techniques and relapse prevention strategies.
If you are struggling with co-occurring mental illness and substance abuse, it is time to call Milwaukee Drug Treatment Centers at (414) 921-7038. The caring specialists can get you the help you need to manage your mental health issues without engaging in dangerous substance abuse. The first step to a brighter future is just a call away.